Third Order Lay Carmelites
Who are the Third Order Lay Carmelites, at St. Athanasius, Brooklyn, New York.
The Lay Carmelites at St. Athanasius are not a social group or prayer group. We are in a vocation to live a devote life in the Carmelite Rule.
Many people are not familiar with the Carmelite’s Third Order. The call to Carmel is a vocation, from friars and monks, religious sisters and cloistered nuns, to lay people who want to follow the path of Carmel. Third Order Lay Carmelites are neither a prayer nor a social group. It is a vocation. It is a call to learn and live a way of life that is dedicated to prayer, community and ministry. All Carmelites seek to live in allegiance to Jesus Christ.
Lay Carmelites are men and women who have heard and answered the call of God to live more deeply their Baptismal promises. Carmel’s spirituality is but one path to God. Our path is not for everyone. But for those who are called to this way of life, it becomes a comfort, guide and beautiful source of spiritual strength.
To become a Lay Carmelite, one must be:
· A practicing Catholic in good standing, registered with a parish;
· If recently confirmed, a practicing Catholic for one year, in good standing and registered with a parish;
· Between 18 and 69 years, and in good health;
· One who is searching for a deeper spiritual guidance in Christian living; and
· One who has a special devotion to the Blessed Mother, Our Lady of Mount Carmel – Our Lady of the Scapular
The Chapter of OUR LADY OF THE HOLY ROSARY CARMELITES
MEETS EVERY 2nd SATURDAY OF THE MONTH. WE ATTEND 9:00 A.M. Mass
and then we meet from10:00 to 12:00 in the Rectory Basement.
Pat Giangrande: Director 718-837-4013 email: firstname.lastname@example.org